Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Frequency, Equalization, and Gardening

As a lot of you know I enjoy running sound. And while I wouldn't call myself great I think I can hold my own. So in the last year or so I have finally figured out just how EQ works in a sound system and how to make it do what you want it to do. So just so that everyone can understand where I am going with this let me give a quick overview of sound frequency. Basically we can hear sound that range from approx 60hz all the way up to approx 16Khz. If you want to know more about it check out this chart:

So back to why I am explaining all this. So the friend of mine who ended up really teaching me about EQ and how to properly use it explained to me a method of "Subtraction EQ." This method is where you find the frequencies that are bad, feeding back, or are not not supposed to be there and taking them out to just leave the good, clean sound of whatever is being played. 

So this week up at camp we were studying John 15:1-17 in our bible studies. That's the passage that talks about abiding in Christ and how He is the vine and we are the branches. And in verse 2 Jesus is talking and says "Every branch that bears fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit." So I was thinking about pruning and I was thinking about subtraction EQ. And I was thinking about how those 2 things were pretty similar when you boiled it down. God takes those areas of our life that are bad, distracting, or are not supposed to be there and cuts them off in the same way that when I heard a bad sound I take it out of the sound mix. Its that refining process that Peter talks about: 
In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
~ 1 Peter 1:6-9   






No comments:

Post a Comment